Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I will never be skinny!


arroz con pollo


I ate whatever I wanted this past weekend and it shows on the scale.
My pants are telling me the same thing.

me:  I am getting fat.

Josh:  I'll pick up Levi from daycare so you can go to the gym.

me: Thanks babe!

Later that day the weather was so nice some coworkers decided to go for a walk after lunch.

coworker: Are you coming for a walk with us?

me: No, I am going to the gym after work.

Later that evening, I get a craving for some Arroz Con Pollo.  So I swung by the market and grabbed some ingredients.  I also bought shrimp thinking, "if I am going low carb, I am at least making it taste good."  I couldn't let the shrimp sit in the car in 80 degree weather so I just came home and started cooking Arroz Con Pollo, Shrimp with Pesto sauce and a Caprese salad.  I was cooking Arroz Con Pollo for Josh's dinner, Shrimp for lunch tomorrow when I realized we had plans to go out for lunch with coworkers and the Caprese salad for my dinner.  For dinner I had 2 bites of the Arroz Con Pollo (quality control), the shrimp and the salad.  UGGGGG!!!! This is why I will never be skinny!

Saffron
Sofrito
Pollo browning nicely
I added some chorizo for some flavor and color
Tada!
Arroz Con Pollo

6 chicken thighs
1 chorizo sausage
3 stalks of celery, chopped
2-3 bell peppers, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups rice ( I used Arborio)
3 cups of chicken stock
pinch of saffron
1/2 cup of peas
2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

This dish will require you to dirty 2 pots and 1 pan

Pot 1: chicken, vegetables and rice
Pot 2: chicken stock and saffron
Pan 1: 1 pan for chorizo

Pot 1: Oil a large pot and let it get really hot (to the point it looks like its smoking).
Place chicken thighs skin side down and let it cook on each side until golden brown
(6-8 minutes each side).  Remove chicken from pot and set aside.

Still Pot 1: There should be some oil in the pan from the chicken, I did not drain it and sauteed the sofrito (celery, peppers, and onions).  When the vegetables soften add the rice and let it toast for about 2 minutes.

Pan 1: Heat a pan and cook chorizo for a 2-3 minutes.

Pot 2: Heat a seperate sauce pan, place chicken stock and saffron let it come to low boil.

Back to Pot 1: Place the chicken thighs back in the rice and sofrito mixture.  Add chorizo and the chicken stock.  Cover and cook on medium low heat for about 45 minutes.  Add the peas last few minutes of cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment